Michigan’s Governor Elect did not run on guns.
Gretchen Whitmer is not a 2nd Amendment ally for the state by any means but Gun Control didn’t take a stage position on her platform.
Her website cursorily mentions the proverbial lines about background checks, bump stocks, etc.
1. Not allow guns in our schools (open or concealed), unless the person carrying is trained, licensed, and wearing a uniform.
2. Ensure universal criminal background checks.
3. Allow for extreme risk protection orders
4. Establish effective waiting periods for gun purchases
5. Prohibit gun possession for violent crimes, including those with felonies or misdemeanors for domestic violence and stalking convictions
6. Ban bump stocks that increase rate-of-fire on semi-automatic weapons
7. Increase resources for safety in schools
But guns didn’t make it into her major push.
- Health Care
- Government Accountability
- More Jobs
- Urban Poverty
- Retirement Tax Repeal
- Women’s Rights
- SJW Type Civil Rights items
- Veterans Benefits
Guns were downplayed. Whitmer is a Gun Control proponent, make no mistake, but the situation in Michigan is one at this moment where guns are not high political capital.
Michigan residents need to be wary however. If the capital gain or opportunity arises at crisis Whitmer will likely take full advantage to curtail gun rights in the Mitten State.