A piece by piece inspection of 647 rifles from the Organ of Muskets (VIDEO)

Over the summer the Springfield Armory National Historic Site spent two days disassembling and cleaning their historic Organ of Muskets but you can watch it in two minutes.

The Organ, so called because of its resemblance to a pipe organ, dates back to the 1830s when it was built by by Armory craftsmen and was used among others just like it to store racks of Springfield US M1816 flintlock muskets. Today it is the last of its kind to survive history and has been stocked with 647 Model 1861 percussion rifle-muskets for generations.

And, as all government property has to be inventoried from time to time, park service personnel and curators recently broke it down, did some deep cleaning and inspecting, and then put it all back together for public display.

Its not the first time this has happened. A 2003 inspection found that no less than seven coats of paint were under the Organ’s floor, and when peeled back like an onion, dated back to the time of President Andrew Jackson.

Source Article from http://www.guns.com/2015/12/02/a-piece-by-piece-inspection-of-647-rifles-from-the-organ-of-muskets-video/