We took a Pelican 1700 for a spin over the last 90 days, and it updated my opinion on hard cases.
Hard cases felt like a good idea when I first started my gun collection. Quickly I built a corner of my office that is dedicated to all my assorted sized cases. I seldom used them preferring lighter, collapsible soft cases for most of my uses. Though I do heavily rely on the smaller ones for magazines and pistols when traveling through Il and NY.
As I travel more and spend time in the firearms community my interest in hard cases was rekindled. A trip to PAK Rite in Wixom where Morgan showed me some of the excellent organizational ideas they had developed for the Pelican line of cases. If you’re a fan of custom cases, Pelican cases with Pak Rite (https://www.thepelicancaseoutlet.com/) foam are a must have.
The next thing that happened was the need to travel with a rifle for a class out of state via airplane. A locking secure transportation was a requirement of that course. Having wheels and an easy way to transport equipment was an incredibly nice plus. Pelican cases offer very sturdy locking tabs and with reinforced padlock holes you can meet TSA travel requirements. For those of us who are overly cautious driving through Il and NY with weapons, these cases exceed the requirements of interstate travel and should offer some protection should you be stopped during transit through the state. Your mileage may vary, and we make no legal advice in these regards.
The Pelican 1700 Basics:
- Watertight, crushproof, and dustproof
- Easy open Double Throw latches
- Open cell core with solid wall design – strong, light weight
- O-ring seal
- Automatic Pressure Equalization Valve – balances interior pressure, keeps water out
- Fold down side handle
- Strong polyurethane wheels with stainless steel bearings
- Stainless steel hardware and padlock protectors
- 3-piece foam set
- BODY: Polypropylene
- LATCH: ABS
- O-RING: Polymer
- PINS: Stainless Steel
- FOAM: 1.3 lb Polyurethane
- PURGE BODY: ABS
- PURGE VENT: 3 Micron Hydrophobic Non-Woven
- PURGE O-RING: 70 Shore Nitrile
- TOTAL DEPTH: 5.25″ (13.3 cm)
- INT VOLUME: 1.47 ft³ (0.042 m³)
- WEIGHT WITH FOAM: 16.98 lbs (7.7 kg)
- BUOYANCY: 136.91 lbs (62.1 kg)
- MINIMUM TEMPERATURE: -40° F (-40 ° C)
- MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE: 210° F (99 ° C)
- WHEELS: 2